SENATE BILL NO. 177
March 07, 2019, Introduced by Senators ANANICH
and DALEY and referred to the Committee on Agriculture.
March 07, 2019, Introduced by Senators ANANICH and DALEY and referred to the Committee on Agriculture.
"Michigan aquaculture development act,"
by amending sections 6 and 8 (MCL 286.876 and 286.878).
the people of the state of michigan enact:
Sec. 6. (1) A person shall not engage in aquaculture unless he or she obtains a registration from the department as an aquaculture facility, obtains an aquaculture research permit, or unless otherwise exempt by rule or law. If the activity in which the aquaculture facility is engaged is required to be regulated under any act, registration under this act does not exempt the person or aquaculture facility from requirements imposed under any local, state, or federal regulation.
(2) The following are exempt from registration as an aquaculture facility:
(a) Retail bait outlets.
(b) Retail ornamental fish facilities.
(c) Persons using privately controlled waters for noncommercial purposes.
(d) Public aquariums or zoos.
(e) Portable retail fishing concessions.
(3) A person registered or permitted under this act shall keep and maintain records of production, purchases, or imports in order to establish proof of ownership. A person transporting aquaculture species shall produce documentation that contains the origin of shipment, registration or permit copies or documentation, documentation demonstrating shipping destination, and any other proof that may be required under the animal industry act, of 1987, Act No. 466 of the Public Acts of 1988, being sections 287.701 to 287.747 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, 1988 PA 466, MCL 287.701 to 287.745, upon demand of the director or a law enforcement officer.
(4) An aquaculture facility in existence before January 1, 1997 is required to obtain a registration or permit, or both, if applicable, by January 1, 1999 in order to continue to engage in aquaculture. Any person engaging in aquaculture beginning on or after January 1, 1997 is required to obtain a registration or permit under this act, or both, if applicable, in order to engage in aquaculture.
(2) A person who holds an aquaculture research permit shall not import aquaculture species that are the subject of the research unless he or she complies with the animal industry act, of 1987, Act No. 466 of the Public Acts of 1988, being sections 287.701 to 287.747 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.1988 PA 466, MCL 287.701 to 287.745.
(3) The director shall approve the protocol of the aquaculture species, including disposition, for the proposed research period. The applicant for the aquaculture research permit shall submit the protocol to the department with the initial or renewal aquaculture research permit application.